I recently made a post asking for your help in recommending books to me for the 12 Challenge created by shadowbooker on Instagram. And you all pulled through! I cannot tell you how excited I am for each of these books, some new to me and some I already had on my TBR. It was fun for me because it does feel like you all understand my reading taste and it reminds me that I am not speaking into a void on this blog. It means so so much to me!
So, I thought I would let you know the 12 books that were recommended by you and I will be reading throughout 2022. I am going to vlog every time I read a book on the list, and I will also write reviews and provide updates here on my blog. Check out my BookTube channel if you want to see that vlog, but I will share it here as well.
- Other Words for Home was recommended to me on Instagram by Noura @theperksofbeingnoura. I have seen so many amazing reviews for this book. It actually has a 4.45 rating on Goodreads and 20,825 ratings in total. I love that this book is going to push me out of my comfort zone because I have not read a lot of middle grade. Noura describes it as utterly beautiful in her Goodreads review.
- Under the Rainbow was recommended to me on Instagram by Rae @raesreadingworld. I have always been intrigued by the cover for Under the Rainbow but never looked into what it is actually about. I am intrigued by the themes that this book takes on and I read through some of the reviews and this books sounds so unique. Can’t wait to read it!
- Rules for Dating a Bookshop Owner was recommended to me on Instagram by Sarah & Ed @schendzeloslibrary. This book was completely new to me, but with a title like that you know it is one I want to read! It is a romcom where the main character is a bookshop owner in a small town. That is all I need to know and I cannot wait to read it!
- On A Night Like This was recommended to me by Aoife @prettypurplepolkadots. This is another romance that I had never heard of but sounds like something I am going to love. I mean, it is set on a yacht! Yes, please!
- A Dowry of Blood was recommended to me by anonymous in the comments of yesterday’s blog post. It is funny because I have been seeing this book on so many favourites lists and was debating whether or not I should give it a try. This comment solved that debate for me! I read Dracula for the first time this year, so I am excited for a book from the perspective of his wives.
- The Girl From the Sea was recommended to me by Meshi @twirlingbookprincess. This is a 2021 releases that I was highly anticipating and just never got to, so I am thrilled that Meshi is giving me the push I need to read it. What a cover, and I am always here for a fun graphic novel!
- Dreams Lie Beneath was recommended to me by Missy & Tay @frayedbooks. Once again, this is a new one to me, but it did just come out in November. That cover really speaks to me and the magic and world-building sound so unique. I cannot wait to get my hands on this beautiful book!
- A Witch in Time was recommended to me by Lucy @bookwormblogger. Lucy remembered my love for witch stories, which is so nice, and I have had my eye on this one since it came out last year. I love witchy books where there is a curse, so I have a good feeling about this one.
- The Last Thing He Told Me was recommended to me by thebookishyogi. I have seen this book everywhere and it even won the Goodreads Choice Award for thrillers. I wasn’t sure if I was going to be read it, but I am excited that I now have a reason to.
- Soulswift was recommended to me by kat @lifeandotherdisasters. This was already on my TBR, but I don’t remember where I heard about it. Maybe it was from Kat! I love that this book is going to push me out of my comfort zone because I have not read a lot of religion-based fantasies. I am so curious to see what I think.
- The Bone Charmer was recommended to me by Joanna @thegeekishbrunette. This is another book that was already on my Goodreads TBR, and I am pretty sure it was because I knew that Joanna loved it. I love that I have been recommended so many underrated books! There is also a sequel, so hopefully I will love the first book and get to The Bone Thief as well.
- Salt to the Sea was recommended to me by Misty @mistysbookspace. I love her for recommended this to me because it is one of the books that has been on my physical TBR the longest. I have been wanting to read something by Ruta Sepetys for ages and am excited to finally do that. I think this is going to break my heart!
I received more than 12 recommendations, so I put them all on a shelf on Goodreads and will definitely try to read a few of them as well throughout the year! I am going to include the covers here in case you are curious. Thank you to everyone who recommended me something!
34 thoughts on “2022 Reading Challenge- An Update”
I know you already said that you were going to check out Soulswift, but I’m still so pumped to now see it on the final list! I really hope you won’t be disappointed, but I love that it works as a standalone Fantasy novel, because they’re so rare to come by.
I’m so excited about it! I’m always here for a standalone fantasy. I preordered the paperback and it should be here at the end of January!!
Interesting list. I can’t wait to read your reviews.
Definitely an interesting mix of genres!
So many great books on this list! I second the Ruta Sepetys recommendation– I’ve been raving about her book on my blog since 2020 haha, you definitely should read them! Also– I have The Invisible Woman; I actually started reading it a while ago but I forgot to finish because I was getting a little tired of the WW2-woman-in-resistance-movement books since I have read so many, but that one is based on a true story and I really need to finish it. Have a great 2022!
I have a feeling I will be raving about Ruta Sepetys this year as well!!
I completely see what you mean. I am worn out on WWII fiction in general, but The Invisible Woman does sound interesting!
I’ve been seeing this challenge on IG, and it looks like so much fun! I hope you enjoy them all.
It does! The challenge definitely blew up!
Hi Kristin, the anonymous comment recommending A Dowry of Blood was me. I was on my phone when I wrote it and it wasn’t programmed to automatically log me in like it does on my laptop. It was one of my favorite books of 2021 and I still think about it constantly. Hope you enjoy it!
Oh yay! I’m so glad you told me it was you. I have seen that book everywhere and I’m so excited that you recommended it. I have heard the writing is beautiful!
It is! I highly recommend listening to it on audiobook, if at all possible.
Ohhh that’s good to know. I will do that. Thanks!
I haven’t read any of these so hope you love them! 💕
Some I hadn’t even heard of!! But I’m looking forward to them b
Hope you enjoy them 😊
I’ve been seeing A Dowry of Blood on a few lists too and just placed a hold on the audiobook at my library – I’m giving that one a try soon too!
I hope you enjoy Dreams Lie Beneath and can’t wait to hear what you think!
And I hope you enjoy all of these books, there are some great recommendations you got!
I was so surprised by how many people I saw raving about A Dowry of Blood. I hope we both love it!
I have ordered Dreams Lie Beneath because you know I’m obsessed with that cover!!
Likewise, I was surprised and it seems like a short book too (which is always nice, makes me feel accomplished quicker LOL).
YAY!!!! Its soooo pretty! Good choice~ 🙂
Good luck, I hope you enjoy them all 😊
I just LOVED On a Night Like This, hope you do too!
Yay! I hadn’t heard of it until it was recommended. Excited to read it!
So happy to have contributed! I hope you enjoy Under the Rainbow!
Ah thanks so much for recommending it. I’m looking forward to it!
The Charm Offensive & Firekeeper’s Daughter were two of my 2021 favorites.
I am halfway through Firekeeper’s Daughter and it’s fantastic. I wasn’t prepared for it to be so emotional!
I can’t wait to see what you think of the Sepetys book!!
I’m so excited to finally reading! I’m thinking of picking it up next!
I hope you enjoy it!!
So many great books! I’ve read 3 on your list (Last Thing He Told Me, The Girl From the Sea, and A Witch in Time) and thought they were all terrific. Enjoy!
Yay! That makes me so happy to hear!
I read Other Words For Home last year and it is such a beautiful story. I hope you enjoy it!
Love hearing that! I’ve been wanting to read it for awhile.