Goodreads Summary– Simon Snow is the worst Chosen One who’s ever been chosen.
That’s what his roommate, Baz, says. And Baz might be evil and a vampire and a complete git, but he’s probably right.
Half the time, Simon can’t even make his wand work, and the other half, he starts something on fire. His mentor’s avoiding him, his girlfriend broke up with him, and there’s a magic-eating monster running around, wearing Simon’s face. Baz would be having a field day with all this, if he were here — it’s their last year at the Watford School of Magicks, and Simon’s infuriating nemesis didn’t even bother to show up.
Carry On – The Rise and Fall of Simon Snow is a ghost story, a love story and a mystery. It has just as much kissing and talking as you’d expect from a Rainbow Rowell story – but far, far more monsters.
- Simon & Baz– I liked Simon as a character, but it was Baz who really stole my heart! Their relationship was exactly the kind of relationship that I love to read about. I know it is cliche but I can not get enough of the enemies to lovers trope!
- Quirky– I really appreciated the quirkiness of this novel. It is almost hard for me to put in to words! The way spells were cast was just so hilarious to me and I loved it!
- Writing- Rainbow Rowell is a great writer. She knows how to write realistic dialogue, which is something that I believe is hard to accomplish!
- World-building– I have to wonder if this book could exist without Harry Potter. There was not much world building and the magic system was not really explained very well. I couldn’t help but just picture Watford as being Hogwarts!
- Agatha- I truly did not understand her role or what she added to the story!
“You were the sun, and I was crashing into you. I’d wake up every morning and think, ‘This will end in flames.”
“He smiles, and he’s made of trouble.”
“He’s a book full of footnotes brought to life. He’s a jacket made of elbow patches.”
I enjoyed Carry On but I wouldn’t say I loved it! I know a lot of people absolutely adore this book and I can see why, but it really did read like fan-fiction to me! If that is something you are interested in reading than I recommend this one! I just wish there was more world building and the whole magic system was more fleshed out!